Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Butterflies!

In the book Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge, the author recalls a time that she asks God to appear to her in nature to remind her of his presence.  And he does appear to her!  It makes her feel as though she is the only one in the world, and she truly feels God's presence and love in her life.

Well, I too had such a moment. Last week, I was down. I was struggling with seeing God's presence in my life.  I felt disheartened about Chris' job possibilities disappearing, and my job at Marietta (while a blessing) has become increasingly hard with piles and piles of essays to grade.  I also began worrying for our future child and how we might provide for it.

While driving home, I noticed a few butterflies riding alongside my car. I was reminded of the moment in Captivating when Stasi asks God to reveal himself to her in nature.  At that moment, I prayed...telling God all of my feelings of gratitude but also pain.  I asked him to reveal himself to me in the butterflies.  Well, folks.. I know I serve a God who hears my prayers. As I continued my drive home, I counted not 1, not 2, but 12 butterflies!  Including one butterfly waiting for me as I pulled up into my driveway!

What a mighty God I serve!!  He never fails us, and constantly hears our prayers and allows us to feel his presence and love.  In that moment, while I drove along counting the butterflies, I felt secure in God's arms.

A great read if you haven't read it!

No comments: