For some of you, my love for Alabama football seems a bit fanatic. I will give you all that! But here is how my love for the team began...
As a child, my whole family followed Alabama football. In my childhood rebellion, I decided I was an Auburn fan. Hey, it spiced things up a bit! When I made my college decision it was a tough one. My dad wanted me to move to live with him in Colorado to go to Colorado State. I informed him that I decided to stay in Alabama and attend the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He told me that he couldn't be prouder that I would get a chance to be an alumni of his favorite team! Little did he know that I went to UA to not have to have student loans..and because of a boy. But that is another story all together...
I still maintained that I was an Auburn fan. But after my first semester at Alabama and particularly my first Iron Bowl being an Auburn fan sitting in the Alabama student section, I decided it was time for a change.
At first, being an Alabama fan was just about socializing. I loved going to tailgates and cooking tailgate food (my personal expertise). I enjoyed sitting around with my friends discussing the games highs and lows, etc. I also enjoyed the occasional mini-vacation aka Away Games. However, it wasn't until I became a "band groupie" that I really got into things. My college roommate and best friend, Lia, was in the Alabama Million Dollar Band. I ended up meeting most of my friends through her connection with band. This included my meeting with my current hottie of a husband, Chris (who was the trumpet section leader for the band). Then, my love of the game moved toward a fascination with seeing my friends in the band at the games.
It wasn't until I graduated college, that I truly knew I was die-hard. Chris and I would go to every game we could no matter the cost. And as I have moved away from Tuscaloosa, I miss the spirit of Alabama football every fall. Even on days like today --it being our first game of the season-- I miss seeing little girls in cheerleader uniforms, or the "happy drunk" guy telling me Roll Tide! I miss the smell of cook outs on the Quad and hearing the fight song played around town. But certainly, most of all I miss the game! The feeling in the air, seeing the team run out, the crowd's passion. I mean, what else does Alabama have besides football and The Space and Rocket Center?? :)
So here's to you Alabama Football! I'm a Roll Tide Lady!
 |
| Tailgating as an undergrad |
 |
| Lia and Me before a game! |
 |
| UA vs. TN 2007 |
 |
| You Know! |
 |
| Rachel and me! |
 |
| My main man! |
 |
| UA vs. LSU |
 |
| UA vs. TN 2008 |
 |
| Kelly and Me! |
 |
| So glad I married me a Bama Boy! |
 |
| It's a family affair! |
 |
| Big Al! |
 |
| Doing our happy dance! |
 |
| We all love Alabama! |
 |
| SEC Championship 2009! |
No comments:
Post a Comment